6-7 weeks (1 semester)
The Intensive Preparatory Program is a 6- to 7-week program with 23 hours per week of study. It emphasizes preparation for academic work at the college/university level, as well as developing communication skills and cultural awareness. This program is offered three times a year: Fall (October), Spring (April), and Summer (July). Students may study just in the Intensive Preparatory Program or begin in Prep and continue into the Intensive English Program.* All levels of English learners are welcome.*Prep must be followed by the Intensive English Program in order to maintain your immigration status during the Summer term.
Who Should Attend?
Individuals interested in:
- Learning a lot of English in a short time
- Joining an English program without waiting until the start of a new semester
- Reviewing English skills before entering a university classroom with native English speakers
- Engaging with American culture
- 1-Day Orientation
- Experienced and Enthusiastic Teachers
- Multiple Social Activities (kayaking, ice cream social, fun picnic lunch, soccer, aquarium)
- Certificate Ceremony
- On-Campus Housing and Housing Assistance
Students take classes in Reading/Writing/Vocabulary, Listening/Speaking, Grammar, and Culture. In Reading/Writing/Vocabulary class, students will learn paragraph and essay writing, reading skills and comprehension, and vocabulary skills. In Listening/Speaking class, students will learn listening and note taking skills, presentation skills, and communication strategies. In Grammar class, students will develop skills in grammar forms and how to utilize them in writing and speaking. In Culture class students will learn about American culture and make comparisons with their own and other cultures.
- Spring and Summer: 23 hours/week for 6 weeks
- Fall: 23 hours/week for 7 weeks
- All classes and classrooms are on the CSULB university campus
- Our optional Conversation Lab gives students the opportunity to meet, interact, and makes friends with fluent speakers of English. Conversation Partners are local CSULB university students dedicated to helping our students improve their conversation skills.
- Our optional Homework Lab gives students the opportunity to meet with a tutor one-on-one. Students can ask questions about and receive guidance on any of their classes or assignments.