The American Language Institute at CSULB offers customized programs for specific groups that wish to improve their English skills for personal, academic, or professional reasons. These educational programs are custom designed to meet your student’s needs; coursework may include General English, Academic English, or English for specific purposes. For instance, we offer programs in English for Healthcare, English for Engineers, English for High School Teachers and Professors, and Practical English. Students in custom programs can have their own group program or be integrated with other international students in certain programs. In either case, all students have the opportunity to integrate with international students from all over the world in our afternoon conversation labs and program activities.
Our customized programs are designed for students, who are aged 18 and older and for groups of 15 students or more, who would like to come for a shorter time period such as 2, 3, or 4 weeks.
- Small class sizes
- Instruction by highly qualified teachers in both ESL and Specific Fields
- Program dates are available during the Summer or Academic year
- Specialized subject courses designed specifically to match the students major or career goals
- Number of weekly hours are tailored to meet your needs (ie. between 17-23 hours)
- Students can attend these programs on a Tourist Visa, Student Visa or Exchange Visitor Visa
- On and off campus activities with curriculum based excursions
- Guest Lectures
- Extracurricular activities such as sporting or cultural events planned for students in Long Beach and surrounding Southern California area
- Housing assistance provided for on campus, homestay, or residential apartments
As each program is designed to meet the needs of the students, the curriculum varies with each group and their language goals. A typical weekly curriculum may have 17 hours of ESL and between 4-6 hours of specific subject course work: for instance, one Reading, Writing, Vocabulary class (9 hours), one Listening and Speaking class (8 hours) and one subject class (ie. Computer Science 4 hours).
English for Nursing Program: