2019 Chinese Culture Festival at CSULB
September 17 – 18
FREE and Open to the Public!
CPIE Building Conference Center #100
California State University, Long Beach
6300 State University Drive
Long Beach, CA 90815
Please join us for the two-day celebration of the 2019 Chinese Culture Festival! The first day will feature a three-part series of educational forums, including a traditional tea drinking experience. The second day will feature a variety of cultural programming, inculding music and dance performances, a photo exhibition, delicious Chinese food, and more.
Hosted by International Training Programs and the Confucius Institute at CSULB.
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Workshop: China Through My Eyes
9:00 am - 10:30 am
- This summer, seven CSULB instructors visited China for an 11-day educational exchange that included visits to local high schools and colleges, as well as cultural experiences and historical site visits. At this workshop, instructors on the panel will share observations about education trends in China, Chinese classrooms and students, and teaching methodologies. In addition, the instructor panelists will share stories about their visit to China, including hotos from Shanghai, Beijing, and other Chinese cities.
Workshop: Digital Transformation in China
11:00 am - 12:30 pm
Speaker: Mr. Charlie Gu, Senior Product Manager, Tencent Holdings Ltd., Los Angeles
- In China today, nearly everyone uses smartphones to pay for goods and services, from businesses and customers to street performers collecting tips. This has transformed every aspect of life in China, turning the country into a wallet-free and nearly cash-free society. Mr. Charlie Gu is a Senior Product Manager at the Los Angeles office of Tencent, the parent company of Wechat, which is one of the two largest social media apps that offers mobile pay in China. At this workshop, Mr. Gu will provide an overview of the mobile transformation happening in China.
Chinese Tea Ceremony
1:00 pm to 2:30 pm
Tea Instructor: Yuqing Wang
- Chinese tea expert Ms. Yuqing Wang, a former tea master at the Forbidden City Museum, will introduce major varieties of classic Chinese tea. Guests can sample some of the finest selections of tea, while learning fascinating details about this traditional beverage.
Wednesday, September 18, 2019
11:30 am to 1:30 pm
Please join us for a celebration of Chinese culture featuring live student performances, a large photo exhibition of Chinese culture programs on campus, and delicious Chinese food. Stick around until the end of the program, when attendees will have the chance to receive special prizes!
- Confucius Institute photo exhibition
- Confucius dance performance
- Chinese ethnic costume and fashion show
- Special guest appearance by the Los Angeles Yue Opera Troupe
- Ms. Iris Wang (from Cerritos Community College) will play the traditional tune 'Peacock at the Lake Side' on the hulusi (a traditional Chinese flute)
Click the links below to learn about previous festivals:
2017 Chinese Culture Festival
2016 Chinese Culture Festival
2015 Chinese Culture Festival
2014 Chinese Culture Festival
2013 Chinese Culture Festival
2011 Chinese Culture Festival