International Education & Global Engagement
  • F-1 VISA

    Admitted international students need to obtain an F-1 student visa in order to study full-time in the United States.  Once accepted into the Study Abroad @ the Beach program, an I-20 form and acceptance letter will be issued to apply for an F-1 student visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Locate the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate here. You will need to pay the $200 Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) fee online at and bring the following documents with you to your visa appointment in your home country:


    Once you have obtained your F-1 visa, you may enter the U.S. 30 days before the start date on your I-20 form




    All students are required to attend orientation week (1 week before classes start). If you cannot be present for the entire week, we ask you to apply for the following semester. During orientation week you will

    Pre-Arrival orientation is usually held online approximately 6 weeks before orientation day. This online orientation is meant to remind students of what to do and gather before they leave, what to expect when going through immigration and customs, housing, and academics. Once accepted into the program, your official CSULB student ID number will be emailed to gain access to your MyCSULB account, Beachboard account and other important pre-arrival information.


    All Study Abroad @ the Beach students on an F-1 visa must purchase health insurance from  No other private health insurance policies are accepted under any circumstances. Due to the high cost of health care in the United States, going without health insurance can be detrimental to a student if he/she falls ill or if he/she is injured in an accident. Students under the age of 24 will pay an average of $400-$500 for the Spring/Fall semesters and between $117-$124 for 6 week Summer sessions. Course registration is not allowed until health insurance purchase is confirmed.

    To purchase:

      1. Go to
      2. Click on 'Search by school name'
      3. Type in 'CSU Long Beach'
      4. Select the 'Study Abroad at the Beach' policy
      5. Follow instructions to enroll

    Immunization Clearance

    By direction of the California State University Chancellor, new students must bring proof (copies or written proof of immunization from a doctor, clinic, military record or school record) of the following vaccinations.

    • If you are 18 or younger on your first scheduled day of class: Measles/Rubella & Hepatitis B

    • If you are 19 or older on your first scheduled day of class: Measles/Rubella only

    • If you will be living in the on-campus dormitories: Meningitis

    • All students must show proof of a tuberculosis test within the past year*

    If a student is unable to provide appropriate documents, the CSULB Student Health Services center may charge a fee. For prices and clinic hours, please visit their website.

     *Low Risk Countries

    The tuberculosis requirement is not required if you are from one of the following countries: Albania, Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Yugoslav, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, UAE, UK, USA. This list is subject to change.


    Students must enroll, attend, and complete at least 12 units (undergraduate) or 8 units (graduates) to maintain status while at CSULB. It is the student's responsibility to report any academic issues, medical conditions or emergencies to a Study Abroad @ the Beach advisor that could affect academic performance or attendance within a timely manner for assistance, not at the end of the semester.

    Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA (C average) for all coursework taken while enrolled in the program. If your GPA is below 2.0, you may not be eligible to continue or enroll in future semesters.


    Please email us at if you have any questions.