COVID-19 FAQ for International Students and Visiting Scholars

International Education & Global Engagement
  • All F-1 and J-1 international students must follow the U.S. immigration regulations as outlined below in order to maintain their international student status at CSULB:

    Full Course of Study

    International students must be registered for a full course of study at CSULB during FALL and SPRING semesters:

        Bachelor's and Credential Students - 12 units
        Master's Students - 8 units

    Online Courses: Only 3 units or one online course per semester is applicable to the full-time enrollment total.

    For students sponsored by their home country government or organizations, there may be additional limitations. Please consult with an International Student Advisor before enrolling in online courses.

    International degree-seeking students who would like to discuss enrollment below a full course of study at CSULB need to gain authorization from the Center for International Education (CIE) prior to the beginning of each semester. There are only a few exceptions to the full-time enrollment requirement for the fall and spring semesters. For more information on the exceptions, click here.

    Please Note: Enrollment for summer and winter sessions is optional for international students.

    Maintaining Valid Immigration Documents

    I-20/DS-2019:  International degree-seeking students must be aware of the expiration date on their I-20/DS-2019. If students cannot complete their degree by the Program End Date on their I-20/DS-2019, students must make an appointment with an International Student Advisor to request a program extension as soon as possible. The process of reviewing an extension request may take some time, and must be completed prior to the program end date on the I-20/DS-2019 form. Failure to obtain a program extension within the time limit allowed will result in cancellation of your F-1/J-1 student immigration status.

    Passport: Students should keep their passport valid at all times. If the passport will expire within 6 months, student must renew it through the embassy or consulate of their home country. All international students must provide an updated copy of their passports to their respective international program office.

    Change of Local Address

    International degree-seeking students who change their U.S. address must report the change to CSULB within 10 days of moving by changing your mailing address on your MyCSULB.

    Grace Period

    F-1 students who complete an academic program or OPT have a 60-day grace period and J-1 students who complete an academic program have a 30-day grace period. During the grace period, students need to leave the U.S., gain a new F-1/J-1 status, or seek another immigration status.

    F-1/J-1 students who have received prior authorization from an international student advisor to withdraw from classes have 15 days to depart the U.S. after the withdrawal date. Students who withdraw from classes without prior authorization are not eligible for a grace period.

    ​In response to COVID-19, the university is transitioning to alternate delivery of classes. Click here to learn more.