COVID-19 FAQ for International Students and Visiting Scholars

International Education & Global Engagement
  • Travel and Re-entry to the U.S

    In order to re-enter the U.S. after a temporary absence (less than 5 months), students must be in good immigration status and carry the following documents:

    1. Valid Passport (valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of the re-entry to the U.S.)
    2. Valid F-1/J-1 student visa in passport (except students from Canada)
    3. I-20/DS-2019 with a valid travel signature
      • Students who need a new travel signature should submit a Document Request Form along with the original I-20/DS-2019 to the Foundation Building (Suite 180).

    Other Recommended Documents to Carry:

    1. Copy of CSULB transcript and/or proof of course registration. You can print these documents from your MyCSULB account.
    2. Evidence of financial resources.
    3. Contact information of International Students and Scholars.

    F-1 Students on OPT

    F-1 Students on OPT must carry the following documents:
    1. I-20, signed for travel by an International Student Advisor within the last 6 months.
    2. Passport, valid for at least 6 months beyond your expected date of entry into the United States.
    3. Valid F-1 student visa in passport (except students from Canada)
    4. Unexpired EAD or a copy of the OPT Receipt/Approval Notice, if the EAD has not yet arrived.
    5. Letter from your current or prospective employer verifying that you are returning to the United States to continue or to accept new employment.
    6. Contact information of your DSO.
    7. Make sure you have not exceeded unemployment time and that you continue to maintain F-1 status by fulfilling all mandatory reporting requirements.

    ​In response to COVID-19, the university is transitioning to alternate delivery of classes. Click here to learn more.