COVID-19 FAQ for International Students and Visiting Scholars

International Education & Global Engagement
  • On-Campus Employment

    All international degree-seeking students who are in full time status and in good academic status are eligible to work on campus as early as their first semester. Students will be considered to be in good academic status if they meet the minimum GPA for their degree level: 2.0 GPA for undergraduate students and 3.0 for graduate students. On-campus employment must either be performed on the school premises, (including on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as the school bookstore or cafeteria), or off-campus locations which are educationally affiliated with the school. Employment with on-site commercial firms which do not provide direct student services is not deemed on-campus employment.

    How many hours per week can you work on-campus?
    On-campus employment for F-1 international students is limited to 20 hours a week (part-time) during the fall and spring semesters and 40 hours a week (full-time) during summer and winter sessions.

    What do you need to start working on-campus?
    International students will need to secure a job, obtain a job offer letter and a
    certification letter from an international student advisor in CIE in order to obtain a Social Security number at the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office. To request the certification letter from CIE, please complete the Request for Letter for Social Security Office Form and submit it to CIE along with the letter from your employer.

    When would on-campus employment be considered unauthorized employment?
    On-campus employment will be considered unauthorized employment if international students works pass their program end date. The program end date is the last day of the semester when students graduate, students who apply for OPT can also find the program end date in their OPT I-20.

    Need help to find an On-Campus job?
    Please visit the CSULB Career Development Center for guidance and resources, speak to an International Student Advisor or participate in an employment workshop.

    Where can I find more information about on-campus employment regulations and policies governing International Students?
    CSULB Student Assistant Employment Handbook
    Study in the States

    ​In response to COVID-19, the university is transitioning to alternate delivery of classes. Click here to learn more.