Students looking to change their current non-immigrant status to F-1 student status are welcome to discuss the following options with an international student advisor:
- Returning back to the home country and apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy (certain students are exempt from the visa requirement, i.e. Canadians); or
- Apply for a Change of Status within the United States to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) through the ELIS program on line (restrictions apply to certain non-immigrants).
STEPS TO APPLY
- ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Eligibility for F-1 Status itself
- Eligibility for change of Status in general
Non-Immigrants Not Permitted to Change Status to F-1 within the U.S.:
- Timely filing of application;
- Validity of current non-immigrant status
Non-Immigrants Not Allowed to Enroll at CSULB prior to Approval of F-1 Status:
- M-1 students
- C, D, K, and S nonimmigrants
- J-1 physicians admitted to receive graduate medical education or training
- J nonimmigrants subject to the 212(e) 2-year foreign residence requirement
- Aliens admitted as visitors under 8 C.F.R. § 212.1€
- WT and WB visitors admitted under the Visa Waiver Program
- B-1, B-2 (tourist) and F-2 (dependents)
- Make appointment with the Designated School Official in the CIE office to discuss eligibility requirements.
- Leave the U.S. and apply for F-1 status in home country: or
- Apply for Change of Status through the ELIS program.