How to Apply for the 24-Month STEM OPT Extension
Review the 24-Month STEM OPT Tutorial
Sign up for the OPT/STEM OPT Newsletter.
Currently, the best way to get OPT updates from CSULB is the F-1 OPT newsletter. Due to constant changes in regulations regarding employment and F-1 status, it is strongly recommended that you remain on the newsletter list until you finish your OPT. You are solely responsible for maintaining your F-1 OPT status. Sign up for the Newsletter here
. Step 3
Prepare your 24- MONTH STEM OPT Extension Application Materials:
- Completed 24-Month STEM OPT Calculator and completed 24-MONTH STEM OPT Extension Request form. Scanned forms will not be accepted. Forms filled out by hand will not be accepted.
- Job offer letter from an employer that is registered with the E-Verify Program and has an IRS Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Completed Form I-983 pages 1-4 only. The STEM OPT student and their E-Verified employer must work together to complete this form before applying for the STEM OPT extension. Only Verified, electronic signatures & written signatures will be acceptable in this form. Refer to Step 1 for additional help in filling out Form I-983.
- Completed Employer Attestation Form. Only Verified, electronic signatures & written signatures will be acceptable in this form.
- Personal check or money order for $410 Made payable to: U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Click here to see how to fill out a check or money order.
- Two identical ID Photos no more than 30 days old— U.S. passport style. Click here for Photo Guidelines.
- Form G-1145 E-Notification of Application
- Form I-765 (Original, non-scanned) with supporting documents listed below. Scanned versions of this form are acceptable. Only written signatures are accepted in this form. Click here to review Tips to fill out Form I-765.
- Copy of Passport information/photo page (valid for at least 6 months)
- Copy of all previously issued EAD cards (front and back)
- I-94 Card (front & back of paper card or electronic print out)
- Copy of your qualifying U.S. Degree
- Copy of your official transcripts (for your qualifying U.S. Degree)
Submit evidence of eligibility to the DSO to obtain your STEM OPT I-20. Use the 24-Month STEM OPT Online Submission Tool
and allow 7-10 business days for the processing of your request.Step 5
File the complete Application for Work Authorization an all supporting documents to USCIS in a timely manner. Your application will be denied if you do not file with USCIS within 60 days of the date that your STEM OPT I-20 is issued. Use the STEM OPT Cover Sheet
you will receive with your new I-20 to complete this step. Step 6
USCIS reviews the application and makes a decision. You should expect your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to arrive within 90 days of your receipt date.
- Within three weeks from filing, you will receive a Receipt Notice of Action (Form I-797) in the mail with your case number.
- Use the case number to check the status of your application online at CASE STATUS ONLINE
- If you have any issues while your application is pending make sure you contact an International Student Advisor.