Can I still work while my application is pending but my current card has expired?
As long as you file your OPT STEM extension application in a timely manner, you will automatically receive an extension of employment authorization for up to 180 days while your application is pending. There is no other confirmation for this extension except STEM OPT I-20, which will indicate the authorization to continue.How do I complete page 1 of Form I-983?
Look at Form I-983_CSULB pre-filled document or Students and the Form I-983
in the STEM OPT Hub.What is the current fee of the 24-Month STEM OPT application?
$410 U.S. DollarsWhat if I change employers while my application is pending?
You can update the employer. Please follow these steps:
How do I report any of the mandatory reporting requirements?
- Submit a new form I-983 signed by new employer to CIE.
- Submit an employment and address update form to CIE. You can access the STEM OPT Employment & Address Update Form from our website and receive an updated I-20.
- Sign and make a copy of the updated I-20.
- Write a Cover Letter addressed to USCIS explaining the change of employer and asking them to update your application. The memo should include among other things: your full name, SEVIS ID number, and receipt number.
- Mail the following documents to the Service Center currently processing your request. The correct address will be listed in your Receipt Notice (Form I-797 Notice of Action):
- Cover letter
- Copy of your receipt notice.
- Copy of updated I-20
- Updated form I-765
- Offer letter from new employer with E-verify number
Submit the STEM OPT Employment and address update form to CIE to report:
What is the difference between the filing deadline of my application and the request deadline for the STEM OPT extension?
- Change of Address
- Change of Employer or termination of employment
- Validation Report
- Annual self-evaluation
- Material changes to Form I-983
- End of STEM OPT
The filing deadline is the date when USCIS must receive your application. On the other hand, when you request your extension, it means that you are submitting your STEM OPT request to CIE to input the STEM OPT recommendation in your SEVIS record.Am I still accountable to fulfill the mandatory requirements, even if my application is pending?
Yes, you will be expected to follow all 24-Month STEM OPT regulations from the day you file your application to USCIS including all mandatory reporting requirements.