College of Professional & International Education

    Q. What is Open University?

    A. Open University provides an opportunity for those people who are not currently admitted to CSULB to enroll in most courses offered by the regular university.

    Q. How do I know if I am considered a matriculated student?

    A. A matriculated student is one that is admitted to the University. If you are not sure whether or not you are admitted, please check with the Office of Enrollment Services (562) 985-5471. If you are not admitted (non-matriculated) then you can enroll as an Open University student through the College of Professional and International Education (CPIE).

    Q. Can I attend Open University if I am a high school student?

    A. Yes. High school students are welcome to attend CSULB Open University as long as an official letter of recommendation from the high school principal or counselor is attached to the registration request form specifying if the credits earned are for college credits or high school credits.

    Q. Can I register for Open University through the website or by phone?

    A. Registration can only be done through self-service or in-person during the Fall and Spring Open University Registration periods.

    Q. What are the CPIE registration window hours?

    A. Our regular business hours are Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m and Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

    Q. What payment methods does CPIE accept?

    A. CPIE accepts only Visa, MasterCard, American Express, checks and money orders. Cash is not accepted at CPIE.

    Q. Can I drop my classes and receive a refund?

    A. Yes. Please read the refund page for dates and deadlines.

    Q. How do I access my grades and transcripts?

    A. A CSULB transcript can be ordered through the Office of Enrollment Services. For more information call (562) 985-5487 or visit CSULB Enrollment Services (Forms and Publications>Records) and you can request your transcript; or visit the CSULB student website to view your unofficial transcripts.

    Q. What if I don’t have a campus I.D. number?

    A.. A campus I.D. number is issued to all new students by the university for registration and identification purposes. If you are a current Open University student or have taken a course previously, you will continue to use your existing I.D. number that was assigned to you. If you do not have a CSULB I.D. we will create one for you upon registration. When filling out the registration form, you can leave this space blank if you do not yet have an I.D. number.

    Q. Where can I get information regarding parking permits?

    A. Information regarding Open University parking can be located here.

    Q. Do I have access to campus resources?

    A. Open University students have access to the library and computer labs. They can also gain access to other campus resources, such as the Student Health Center and Recreation Center for an additional fee.

    Q. What is the difference between Open University and regular CSULB courses? 

    A. There is no difference between the courses. The courses that Open University students take are the same courses that matriculated students take. Open University students can seek permission for any classes listed in the schedule of classes.

    Q. Will I be able to get into the classes I want? 

    A. Over a thousand students register for classes each semester through Open University, so there are many course options available. However, there is no guarantee that students will be able to get into a specific course. 

    Q. Is parking available?

    A. Once you are registered for classes, you are able to purchase a semester parking pass at the Cashier’s Office located in Brotman Hall.

    Q. Is financial aid available?

    A. As non-matriculated students, Federal Student Financial Aid is not available for students taking courses through Open University. Students can apply for private continuing education loans.

    Q. Will my classes transfer to another institution?

    A. As a regionally accredited institution, most classes will transfer to another institution. Students will want to speak to a representative from the institution to which they plan to transfer, in order to determine how those classes will be articulated. 

    Q. What is BeachBoard?

    A. BeachBoard is the online learning environment used at CSULB. Instructors may use it to post assignments, hold discussions, or for other functions. Once students are registered into a class, they will generally get access to BeachBoard within 24 hours.


    ​In response to COVID-19, the university is transitioning to alternate delivery of classes. Click here to learn more.