- New graduates with a bachelor’s degree in International/Global Studies, Political Science, Geography, History, Sociology, Anthropology, Languages, or related social science fields
- Experienced professionals in diverse fields looking to accelerate their career through opportunities in California as well as internationally
- Those working in the public sector, including federal, state, local, and/or foreign governments
- Those working in private sector fields including trade, consulting, finance/banking, and business
- Those working in the nonprofit sector such as Nongovernmental Organizations, public interest and advocacy, and higher education
Master of Arts in International Affairs
The Master of Arts in International Affairs (MAIA) Professional Program at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) is designed to prepare leaders for a changing world by providing the skills that employers demand for the global workforce of the 21st century. Greater Los Angeles is one of the most globally-connected metropolitan areas in the world. The region’s diversity of trade, international investments, cultures, and languages exceed that of all but a small handful of countries. Employment opportunities in California reflect a demand for related competencies globally.
The program, aligned with global standards in the field, combines interdisciplinary, policy-oriented, intercultural and global studies with career development. Through a cohort design, students attain both the international and project management skills employers demand for the global workforce of the 21st century. This 18-month program includes 12 months in residence, followed by a carefully placed internship. Graduates become prepared for careers in areas such as International Development & Relief, Migration Advocacy, International Non-Profit Management, International Business, and Trade Policy.
The MAIA program identifies and develops the professional skills necessary for a successful international career in the public, private, or nonprofit sectors—both at home and abroad. The core elements of the program include methodological skills, functional competence, and foreign language knowledge with a multidisciplinary approach. The curriculum applies prevalent theory to real-world situations, while developing tools for project development and problem resolution.
- Hybrid program combining online and in-person learning environments
- The MAIA program is designed accelerated to be completed in 18 months while keeping total costs commensurate with traditional graduate programs at CSULB.
- The MAIA program is one of the least expensive professional MA International Affairs programs in the country.
- Program includes Washington, D.C.-based staff to facilitate internships and job training in the nation’s capital so students can choose between interning in California, Washington, or abroad.
- The only professional master's degree program in International Affairs that includes a focus on serving California’s specific population and workforce needs in a global context
- Global systems patterns with attention to policy, conclusions, limitations, and implications
- Policy-making theories, models, and applications
- Project management and budgeting
- Causes, consequences, legal issues, and identity intersectionality in migration and immigration
- Contrasting perspectives and practical skills for international development
- How to apply international affairs skills to real-world problems
- How to identify pathways from your MAIA degree into career placements
- International Economics
- International Politics
- Scope and Methods for International Affairs
- International Economic Development
- Applied International Development
- Project Management
- Global Trends in International Migration
- Labor Migration
- Citizenship and Immigration Law
- Management of Nonprofit Organizations
- A student capstone project
- Completion of 33 units of approved graduate courses with a 3.0 GPA or better
- A graduate GPA of 3.0 or better in the program course requirements
- Successfully complete the culminating activity with a passing grade
- Satisfaction of all university graduation requirements