College of Professional & International Education
  • Academic Course Credit

    All Summer Sessions courses carry CSULB residence credit, and there is no limit on the number of Summer Session courses which may be applied towards a degree at CSULB for matriculated students. California State University, Long Beach is on the semester system.

    Courses are numbered in the following fashion and are designed primarily for students with the class standings indicated in parentheses:

    • 100-299 Lower division (freshmen and sophomores).
    • 300-499 Upper division (juniors and seniors). Lower division students may also enroll with the approval of the instructor or their advisor. Upper division education courses are not open to lower division students.
    • 500-599 Graduate courses (graduate students). Also open to second semester seniors by petition.
    • 600-700 Graduate courses (graduate students).

    Course Prerequisites

    Some courses have prerequisites which are noted in the Footnotes. Students are responsible for verifying that they have met all prerequisites before enrolling. Students may be asked by their instructor to provide proof of completion of course prerequisites.

    Transferring Units

    The units earned in Summer Sessions appear on CSULB transcripts and should be transferable to other accredited institutions. The decision to accept transfer credits rests with a student’s home institution and students are responsible for verifying transferability before registering for courses at CSULB.

    Maximum Unit Load

    Students may enroll in a maximum of 13 units during Summer Sessions. All students wishing to take more than 13 units must submit a Petition for Exemption to Policy on Maximum Unit Load for approval. The deadline for submission is the end of the first week of instruction.

    Late Registration

    Late registration begins the first day of instruction. There will be a non-refundable $25 late registration fee assessed at that time.

    Independent Study

    Each student who is enrolled in a supervised independent study, research, or reading course (excluding thesis courses) must have an agreement on file in the department office where the course is offered. The agreement must be signed by both the instructor and the student and must be on file at the beginning of the course.

    Graduate Studies

    Consult the CSULB Catalog for general information regarding graduate study for credentials and master's degrees. Details of individual credentials/degrees are available from the departments. Consult the College of Education for information on simultaneously pursuing a master's degree and a teaching credential.

    Academic Honesty

    Summer Sessions courses comply with all CSULB regulations regarding cheating and plagiarism. Definitions of cheating and plagiarism are found in the General Regulations and Procedures section of the CSULB Catalog.

    Bob Murphy Access Center

    Students with disabilities who need assistance or accommodation in order to participate in or benefit from university programs, services, and/or activities should inform the person/department responsible for these programs, services, or activities, and then contact Disabled Student Services.

    Students needing support services or accommodations for course work should contact the instructor of the course within the first week of class. In addition, students should establish their eligibility for assistance by contacting the Bob Murphy Access Center (Student Success Center room 110) at (562) 985-5401, They will be required to provide verification of their disability from a medical professional along with a description of the student’s functional limitations. Disabled Student Services will evaluate their requests. Typical accommodations available are extended time for tests, test proctoring, private test rooms, note taking, Braille transcription, and referral for tutoring.

    If the service offered is insufficient or inadequate, the student should confer with the Director.

    If these efforts are not successful, concerns may be directed to the Office of Equity and Diversity (FND-120) at (562) 985-8256. Responsibility for oversight and implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act have been delegated to the campus director for disability support and accommodation.

    Tax Deduction Information

    Treasury regulation 1.162-5 permits an income tax deduction for certain educational expenses (registration and tuition fees and cost of travel, meals, and lodging) undertaken to: 1) maintain or improve skills required in one’s employment, or 2) meet requirements of an employer or a law imposed as a condition to retention of employment, job status, or rate of compensation. Refer to current IRS regulations.

    Use of Social Security Numbers

    The California Code of Regulations (Section 41201, Title 5) and the Internal Revenue Code (Section 6109) require you to provide the university with your correct social security number.

    • The University uses a student ID number to identify your academic records.
    • The University uses your social security number to file information required by the Internal Revenue Service (see the CSULB Catalog) and to collect any debts you might owe to CSULB.
    • The IRS may penalize any student who does not provide the University with his or her correct social security number.

    Emergency Procedures

    In the event of a weather-related emergency or other emergency, instructors and students should call the main CPIE phone number, (562) 985-5561. KKJZ, 88.1 FM will announce campus status reports periodically. More frequent broadcasts will be added if necessary. CSULB will notify major radio stations and television stations concerning closure and other information.

    Summer Sessions are Self-Supporting

    No financial support is received from state or local funds. Although every effort is made to provide accurate information, occasionally courses must be canceled, moved, combined, split, scheduled for different hours, and/or assigned alternate faculty. CSULB academic departments and colleges reserve the right to make such changes when necessary. The assignment of an alternate faculty member to teach a course is not grounds for a refund. Course fees are subject to change without notice.

    Request Credit/No Credit (CR/NC)

    Approvals must be obtained on a Grade Option Change Request Form. The decision to take a course CR/NC is final and irreversible. Obtain signature of your major advisor in the grade option box and department stamp. If you don't have a major advisor, please contact a CPIE student services advisor by calling (562) 985-5561. Bring the completed form to CPIE by:

    Session I: June 8, 2020

    Full Summer Session: June 8, 2020

    Session III: July 19, 2020

    Audit a Class

    Ask the instructor to approve your request and sign your CPIE Registration form. If the instructor approves your request, bring the completed form to CPIE by:

    Session I: June 8, 2020

    Full Summer Session: June 8, 2020

    Session III: July 19, 2020